
A Damaging & Angry Tongue
I wonder how it is that he can speak to her
With words seemingly laced with hate
The icy coldness of his tongue
Hold such a heavy weight
The weight of words he's chosen
Keep her down knocked to the ground
The sharpness of his savage words
Are both nasty and unsound
I wonder if he remembers
Her little fingers & her toes
If he remembers her little rose but lips
And her little button nose
I wonder if he remembers
When she first called him dad
If he remembers how he cuddled her
When she was a little sad
I wonder if he wonders
About the bitterness of his ways
I wonder if he realizes
The damage of all he says
The rawness of this wound he's caused
Will start to settle soon
The crust will harden a scar will form
The relationships set for doom
Is there nothing there within him
That can see & change his ways
Is there nothing that will shock him
And save him from this darkened days
If he doesn't try make some peace
For this tongue inflicted pain
It may just get too late change
And salvage what remains
By KMF
The icy coldness of his tongue
Hold such a heavy weight
The weight of words he's chosen
Keep her down knocked to the ground
The sharpness of his savage words
Are both nasty and unsound
I wonder if he remembers
Her little fingers & her toes
If he remembers her little rose but lips
And her little button nose
I wonder if he remembers
When she first called him dad
If he remembers how he cuddled her
When she was a little sad
I wonder if he wonders
About the bitterness of his ways
I wonder if he realizes
The damage of all he says
The rawness of this wound he's caused
Will start to settle soon
The crust will harden a scar will form
The relationships set for doom
Is there nothing there within him
That can see & change his ways
Is there nothing that will shock him
And save him from this darkened days
If he doesn't try make some peace
For this tongue inflicted pain
It may just get too late change
And salvage what remains
By KMF
It saddens me when I hear unkind, derogatory words spoken to anyone but especially when I hear these words coming from the mouths of a child's very own parents. I wrote this poem after I had been to Dreamworld & heard a father berate his daughter (all of about 6) and called her a "stupid cow". I wanted to grab that child, hold her & tell her that his words were not true. That she was not this horrible thing her father was calling her but instead I just leered at her father to let him know that I had heard what he had said.
Why do parents do this to their children? It is sickening. I kept thinking of that moment all day & many times since and feel terribly for that little girl. What must life be like for her?
Why do parents do this to their children? It is sickening. I kept thinking of that moment all day & many times since and feel terribly for that little girl. What must life be like for her?
Poor wee girl. It's so sad because if you call someone(even an adult) stupid enough times, they will begin to believe it's true. Very sad.
ReplyDeleteI know......
ReplyDeleteThis made me cry....adults have no clue the damage one word can do to a small child. I pray for the little girl.
ReplyDeleteack...that sucks...and that kid will carry it for years...this theme continues to resonate across the blogworld today...
ReplyDeleteIt makes you see red and shake your head then walk away in disgust, poor child.
ReplyDeleteVery sad... They really should combat population issues with licensing.. im serious.. total scumbags have children all the time.. mostly for the welfare.. not all poor people are bad parents but there are plenty of them..there are dozens of children who die each year in NSW alone through neglect.. that disgusts me..
ReplyDeleteanyway, good poem..very moving..
and it got me angry..
Sad but all too often a common occurrence. Small minds try to camouflage their own faults and insecurities by channeling their negative energy into verbal abuse. Always unacceptable but especially when directed at a child.
ReplyDeleteWords matter and we should always endeavor to confess good things about our children, while honestly naming their behavior of course.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me so angry my prayers are with the little girl....your poem was wonderful.
ReplyDeleteOh dear... I am so very sorry to all of you that I have not yet responded to your comments. I truly appreciate each and every one. Thank you! And your thoughts on this matter are also well appreciated. This is indeed a very sad & serious reality for many children. It is heartwarming to read the the love in the lines of your comments! Wishing each and every one of you a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDelete