
Helplessness
Silence
The girl is locked in
To a life of frustration
She waits for life to begin
They see her before them
A blithering mess
Arms flinging about her
This is her life of distress
In her words not mine
She screams in her head
I understand!
I can hear you!
I am living not dead!
No one can hear me
I know they can't see
The voice that's imprisoned
Please...Come set it free
No words, No speech
In limbo she's lost
Lets help her to talk
Doesn't matter the cost
Frustration's her burden
She's 'wanting' to Live
To Learn
Love
&
Communicate
Let's not keep her locked in!!!
by
Katherine
I met a young lady during training last week whose doctors had diagnosed with severe autism at the very young age of 2. At the age of 4 and half, doctors informed her parents that she would never be able to talk or communicate because of her profound disability. She is now a beautiful young lady of 21. She was introduced to a very controversial method of communication known as Facilitated Communication when still very young. Her mothers dedication & drive to provide her with an education has unlocked this beautiful girls creative mind & given her a voice.
I have seen this method of communication in use & I can tell you that it works!! I would love to see every child that is locked in, find their voice but the powers that be are so skeptical that they won't fund it!
I would love for them to meet this young lady, see what I saw & tell her that she's full of it! Because she so obviously is not!!!
smiles. yeah...glad we can be there for them...
ReplyDeletehello katherine! i remember reading this post sometime ago and it touched me just as much reading it this time :) so hard to imagine the pain that autistic people live with but you shared it wonderfully!
ReplyDeletethanks so much for stopping by...made me smile just to see your face again :)
It's frustrating that sometimes the 'experts' can't see beyond their own 'expertise'. Good that you repeat this Katherine.
ReplyDeleteWOW! what an encouraging stroy, Katherine! there is then hope for some autistic kids out there from being unlocked from that prison they are in with the communication issues many have to endure. thank you for posting this. hope you re well?
ReplyDeletekatherine, this is really encouraging - touched my heart and i'm so happy for this girl and hope others can get this help as well. your poem tells a story and paints an impressive picture.
ReplyDeleteBrian..yep, too true!
ReplyDeleteHello Sheri..lovely to see you in Blogland once again. Hope all has been well & thanks for your comment.
Hiya Rick .. It is frustrating!! If I could I would love to say to them..."The proof is in the pudding" They need to meet this young lady. She is truly amazing..brought tears to my eyes.
Hi Mmmm... you would have been as amazed as I was if you had been in the same room with this girl. It was amazing!! I am well thank you, finally over the chest infection I've had... just got a little bit of an irritating cough but that's all! Hope you're well also?
Hello Clauda ... thank you! I know that her mother is a driven woman and whilst she is alive & kicking she will continue to be a thorn in the side of those that NEED to listen!!