My Beautiful People

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What family means to me!

To some I am but a number
An acquaintance & nothing more

To others I am a convenience
A way or a means to get a need met

To others I hold no significance
They can take me or leave me

But to my family
I am the world!

So what does family mean to me??

Family to me is home
A safe place
It's a group of kindred spirits
Of loving & nurturing souls
It's a comforting look, a warming touch
A loving embrace & a gentle hand stroking your face
Its the comfort of sleeping in your mothers bed
When the monsters & creepies are visiting your head
Its the loving words on a darkened day
It's knowing just the right things to say

And it's about

Apple pie & caramel dumplings
It is homemade pizza & cinnamon toast
It's the smell of liniment
When Mums back is sore
And freshly mopped kerosene floors

It's afternoon tea
And homemade cakes
It's casseroles
And Sunday Bakes!

Family is the best!

27 comments:

  1. Ahhh ... what a wonderful post Katherine. You've stated it so well. Lovely photo of your family. I trust that they're helping nurture you back to health too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post. Wonderfully written. We can depend on them no matter what and they are always there to share our happiness and sorrow. That's a nice picture!
    Smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you kindly Rick!! Yes I was feeling particularly grateful for them all & thought why not write about it! They're looking after me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you Mr Stupid! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it & thanks for your very generous comment on my writing, it's greatly appreciated.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. family is all that and more...glad you tossed in the food smells...family is filled with food smells for me too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it certainly is!! Smell is so intrinsically linked to memories, isn't it.
    Hope you had a wonderful day today on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT!!! Sometimes people forget to thank the ones that mean the most to us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. JStar..thank you for your lovely comment! I was impressed by your story post today ... you are quite the story teller!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful poem. I completely agree...and isn't it fun being the mom that makes it all happen? Such a fun, rewarding thing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are extremely lucky to have such a beautiful life..who wouldn't want what you have..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in the Isle of this cathedral dancing and banging away on my tambourine singing - hey mamma hey mamma, I know one thing, is I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely poem and yes family is everything! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful personal touches you placed in this post about family. Thank you for the peek into your clan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, my, goodness was your post ever lovely! how wonderful that you are surrounded by such a bounty of people whom you love and adore so much, kath...i'm up for adoption in case you've ever thought about a new addition?? sounds exactly like someplace i'd like to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Family is home." I always tell my Madelene that "she" is where home is. But you are so right, it's so much more than just being "related". This was so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blood is truly thicker than water Katherine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betsy your so right, being a mother is such a blessing (even though at times it can also be tough)... thanks for your kinds words as always..I'm pleased you enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lyn .. I know how truly blessed I am, thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Elizabeth ... your too sweet, thanks so very much! Hope your feeling a little better too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julie ~ Thank you so much!

    Monkey Man ~ you are most welcome! Thanks for your lovely comment too!

    Steve ~ Thanks for popping by! :)

    Sheri ~ Thanks for your lovely & very generous comment. I do have a lovely family & my family just like any other has it's moments too! We are not perfect but we do love & care for each other very much.

    Deb ~ that is so true! Home is indeed where the heart is... so my heart is in a few places. It's in my childhood home, in the home of my grandmother & in my marital home...and it is also in the homes of the community I care for!

    Hiya Reggie .. thanks so much for stopping by ~ Blood is thicker than water - most of the time but not all of the time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I echo every positive thing they said. beautifully written Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a precious gift is family.
    Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Dave for your lovely comment..it is truly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hiya Dean.. it certainly is! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-follower-award-week-4.html

    cool stuff,
    enjoy some gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful - so very true... family is everything.. and the rest is mere icing.. and barely that.

    very well written poem ...
    *sniff*
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Jingle :)

    Anthony thank you so much for kind & generous words...I am so pleased that you enjoyed what you read! :)

    ReplyDelete